Tuesday, October 27, 2009

To The Beat



Finally started the install of the small cabinet job I have been working on. The painting process was a long one. By no means am I a painting pro. Painting is certainly an art form. So whenever I paint a project I follow directions from the Bible of periodicals, Fine Woodworking. Issue 177 Three Steps to a Flawless Painted Finish. Again, even if a piece is to be painted, build it as if you were finishing it clear. 2 coats of primer, 2 coats of paint, and 2 coats of clear, non-yellowing polyurethane, sanding with 220 grit between coats and 320 between the final poly coat. I sprayed this time using my HVLP system. Makes the painting time go quickly, but the down time waiting for things to dry is agony. My shop is small enough that I don't have a finishing room so when things are drying, there is no activity in order to not stir up dust. Bummer.

Mortised nickel butt hinges with ball tips from Van Dyke's Restorers, classy!

Wine storage drying.
Cabinet installation is always fun.....hmmmm.... Had to remove the chair rail gently. (It will be put back) Just easier than trying to install flush while its in place as my cabinets may be square,,, but walls are rarely. One of my doors got a little tight through the painting process. I always try to leave 1/16" - 3/32" for paint when I am fitting inset doors but this isn't paint. Think its just a little wood movement. I'll take it back to the shop for refitting before all is said and done.

Door on the right opens and closes fine, but the bottom left corner is a little too tight for my visual pleasure.

Installed the cove mouldings I made on the table saw. Just need to install the baseboards and base cap then fill and paint those as well. Shoe mouldings needed as well but these floors are to be refinished so we'll let the floor guys install those. Wine storage works well. Should have a classic, clean look when done. Knobs are black Victorian glass from Anthropologie. Love that shizz!

Cove mouldings need filling and painting.

Put some bottles in for fit.

Threw in a picture of Milo while we were hiking the Corridor Trail at Pilot Mountain yesterday.
That could not have been a better day. Love my boy!

1 comment:

  1. Love this... and the honesty with issues you're having. The hardware is super posh!

    ReplyDelete