Monday, November 23, 2009

Spread Out!

Life in the shop is humming, even in the shadow of holidays, family, and sick boys. At the close of the Stanley Table project the shop is going to get upgrades. Some big upgrades. Some little upgrades. (can't say upgrade without thinking about that horrific Beyonce commercial,,, scarred for life.)
First, the shop will be experiencing a 250 square ft expansion. Walls are coming down, others are getting painted. Floors are getting a new surface and a complete rearrange of tools, equipment, power, and dust collection is in order. New cabinets and work surfaces along with a new bench. Big project... but I am excited. Should be fun to document.

Second:
For many years I have been on the hunt for a bigger, more powerful band saw for re-sawing stock/ veneers/ laminating, so finally the shop will be getting a new one. I don't want the massive 24" Andre the Giant saw. 18" is where I want to live. I've been looking at used saws for a while but have finally narrowed it down to 3 new models in my price range. Decided on new because right now I just don't want to fuss with some of the baggage that accompanies older equipment plus I want to know I can order parts, get a warranty, etc... Help me out here if you are a woodworker and have had any experience with these models. I based a lot of my research on Fine Woodworking reviews and input from local natives. Here are my 3 choices: All have similar basics but there are across the board differences.

- most expensive of the 3
- most horse power (3)
- no blade drift adjustment
- still totally badass and looks the coolest.

Rikon 18" 10-345
- middle on cost
- Top Tool Popular WoodWorking
Fine Woodworking Best Value for 18" band saws
- When it was reviewed for Fine Woodworking the guy loved it. I believe it would have gotten "Best Overall" had it had a bigger motor. At the time it was 2hp but Rikon has since upgraded to 2.5 HP for more re-saw power. A definite plus. This is the saw I am leaning towards.

- lowest cost
- reviewed well in Fine Woodworking
- lowest Horsepower (2hp)
- No blade drift adjustment
- Owned a few Grizzly machines and have been somewhat pleased however a few were machined poorly.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Out.




5 comments:

  1. I think that you've made the best decision. Tell me, does the Rikon have speed adjustment? I only ask because that will give you versatility if working with non-wood items (for which you might want to have some extra blades laying around). Also, I haven't seen this lately, but I enjoyed using a band saw that had an integral blade annealer. Rikon got that?

    Don't risk going cheap. You'll be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cam,

    Tell me does the Rikon possess variable speed adjustment? I only ask because you might want to explore the versatility of the saw in working with materials other than wood (e.g. aluminum, plastic, steel). You can have extra blades laying around the shop for that purpose.

    Also, a handy feature on an older band saw that I used to employ was a blade annealer. Any of 'em got that?

    I think your gut is right though-- the Rikon has the features and is not underpowered by any means. Furthermore, the Grizzly sounds risky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks or the advice Scott. I didn't see anything re: integral annealing (and I may have missed it) for any of these saws but that would certainly be handy be a handy feature. The Rikon does have 2 speeds for wood and metal. There was a great review of 18" band saws in Fine Woodworking issue 170 if you have access. That was 2004. Grizzly doesn't offer their 18' model any more and the General has changed little. The Rikon got glowing marks with the exception of power and blade deflection, which they obviously took to heart and changed. The price also changed, Ha!. A few hundred dollars. Thanks for the advice. I think it helps me soundly rule out the Grizzly. Like the old saying goes... Buy the best tool you can afford.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cam-

    The General is the clear winner!! With a name as commanding as "The General" how can you go wrong. The yellow color blocks will remind you of the Tour de France as you are taking care of business. Rule number one in life is stay away from any product that has Grizzly in it. It reminds me of something you would find on the shelf at Auto Zone to bring the shine back to the winch bumper on your dads 1978 ford F150. The Rikon could be the winner as it is clearly an asian product and they always make a better copy than the original. It looked as though none of the models you selected had a cup holder. How Bizarre? I look forward to seeing the new steed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never regretted spending more money on a tool!

    ReplyDelete