Monday, November 16, 2009

O.G.

What's better than the original? Not much.
well,,, there is Phil Collins' version of "You Can't Hurry Love" Maybe the best cover in the history of music??? not joking.

Work continues on the Stanley table. From the onset, The Stanley's wanted a simple, clean, modern table with a little rustic character. Modern Farm table (yeah,,, I said that last post). But simple, clean, modern is anything but simple. If it's simple... it has to be perfect because you'll notice if it isn't.

So... this leads me to Phil
I've been agonizing over the legs for the last few days. The original drawings (refer to 1st Stanley Table post) show a very simple design. Maybe too simple. While trying to figure out the leg placement, I angled them out very slightly. It looked good. Gave the legs just enough umpf?
but not too much. We'll see. The original is still talking to me. Thanks Sussudio.

Legs aside. Here are some shots of the base. Since there will be a horizontal board in the middle of the legs, I decided to have the rails on the flat vs a more traditional style on edge. Half lap joints. The ends are awaiting approval to stay square or get a bevel. You can definitely see some Mission in it. Which... Is fine. Mission is simple but I want to stay away from any particular "style." So, keeping the ends square would probably look less mission. Even so,,, this will be upside down so you will only ever see 6" of the boards. OK... Photos. I threw some fancy edge blur in there for you all. enjoy.

8/4" leg stock. (8/4 is 2" in lumber yard talk. these were milled to 1 3/4")

Laying out the base rails.

Finishing up the half laps. Cut most of the waste out using the dado.

Fit almost there. About 1/32" proud.

Everybody together. Nice fits. I am going to peg these with some white oak dowels for a little added strength.


The now mandatory Milo shot. Was taking some shots of different leg orientations on a mocked up base. When I was downloading theses I noticed my boy relieving himself on his water table. My son for sure!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment