Thursday, September 24, 2009

Its On You.

Ok.... I am going to post a tip that may be helpful to some. I will make every attempt to thoroughly cover all safety issues........ But if you get hurt.... I have a very good lawyer.
Also... By no means am I trying to say my methods are the best, correct, or not crazy. There are 10 ways to do everything in this business and thousands of years/ people doing them. This is just something I do. If it helps you... I would be elated!

Quick and Accurate Way to Measure Blade Height on the Table saw.

Measuring blade height on the table saw with a rule can be frustrating and sometimes inaccurate. The top of the blade arc is sometimes difficult to find and the eyes can often play tricks. I use a sacrificial strip of square stock to very accurately set blade height while wasting little time.
I generally use this method with the dado blade but it would work equally well with a single blade.

1: Find or make a square piece of 2' x 3"x 3/4" stock that you can sacrifice. I always use a piece of 3/4" plywood with at least 1 jointed edge. This is your sacrificial strip. Plywood is generally very strait/ stable, and I always have lots of cutoffs that I will never use.
2: Make 3 marks at the desired height in the middle of the sacrificial strip about 1' long. Connect the dots. I always make 3 marks because with only 2, 1 could be off and give you an nonparallel line. The 3rd mark keeps everybody straight. You could also use a marking gauge here.
3: Attach sacrificial strip to your saw fence. Make sure the clamps are TIGHT SON!!!
4: Make sure you have the correct throat plate in your saw. Drop your blade below the table. Place the sacrificial strip over half of the blade (make sure you don't go too far over and cut into your fence! Disaster.) Turn on the saw and slowly raise the blade until its highest point touches your line.
Now your blade is at the perfect height. Sweet!


2 comments:

  1. Just cut my pinky off, and chewed up the fence...son! I love reading the blog, perhaps someday I can hire you to do some built-in bookshelves. I've always wanted to have a library!

    ReplyDelete