Sunday, September 20, 2009

People You Should Know.

Two of the titans.... or legends.... or icons.... these don't do justice, passed this year within months of each other. Sam Maloof and James Krenov arguably laid the foundation for "modern" woodworking (modern= strange for a craft spanning 1000's of years where the basic tenants remain fundamentally the same). Both lived long lives, Maloof 93, Krenov 89, both emigrated to the US, both lived and worked in California. Totally different styles. For me their influence was less about design, technical skill, or aesthetics. In fact I may go as far to say that I never really cared for their particular styles, although its hard not to love the lines of a Maloof rocker. More so they articulated, for me, the essence of the process. Krenov's "The Fine Art of Cabinetmaking" was the first woodworking book I picked up. I was lucky enough to work at a fantastic contemporary art gallery where it rested in the library. I knew nothing - absolutely - ... might not know much more today... and was, to say the least... intimidated. Krenov hit me like bricks:

"This book is not intended for professional cabinetmakers. It is for amateurs in the true sense of the word: those who love the material and the work of their craft more than anything else about it.... What some of us find is an enjoyment we can't weigh against money, recognition, or artistic aura. By whatever term others call it, it is the feeling of doing something we want to do-and doing it well, by measures both honest and sensitive." -James Krenov, The Fine Art of Cabinetmaking

Maloof was the guy I wanted to be. California lemon farm, shop with his sons, super cool glasses. If Krenov was about philosophy, Maloof was about lifestyle (at least for me.) More so than any traditional woodworker, Maloof broke through the "craftsman" barrier and became a design icon. His lines are echoed everywhere. Sculpted and new, his methods were a revelation to many... me included.

These were some of the guys that inspired me in the beginning and continue to today. I go back to their books sometimes frequently and other times infrequently, not necessarily for technical know how, but more for reassurance or comfort. They are like mashed potatoes or chicken soup. Always good, always comfort.

So I was very sad when I learned they were both gone. Not that I knew or met them or ever would. Just that they were gone.


Maloof on the cover of the 25th ed. of Fine Woodworking (the periodic bible you might say)



3 comments: